Sacramento History Museum
Fall 2019 Internship Program
Susan Voskuil-Starcevich, Education Manager
This is an unpaid position and will not include benefits.
Main site: Sacramento History Museum
Other sites may include: Center for Sacramento History, Historic District of Old Sacramento, Living History Center, and Old Sacramento Visitors Center
The Museum will provide on-site training.
The internship program is designed as an introduction to the numerous departments and programs that encompass the Sacramento History Museum and Sacramento History Alliance. Interns will gain a general knowledge of how individual departments function within the context of a larger non-profit organization and historical foundation. Interns will also develop skills related to specific departments and their activities. The program will involve work on departmental projects and portions of larger departmental initiatives.
The intern will work in conjunction with their supervisor at the museum to fulfill any special projects or requirements the intern’s school/program may have for them. Any requirements must be brought to the attention of the supervisor at the beginning of the internship. Currently, the internship is a 12-15 hour commitment but can be flexible to fulfill program requirements.
Fall Special Projects:
- Update and implement museum education programs
- Assist with organization and upkeep of the Living History costume closet\
Examples of Past Intern Responsibilities and Projects
- Tour development and implementation
- Educational program development
- Interpretive program development
- Event coordination and development
- Membership coordination
- Volunteer recruitment and training
- Archival research and processing
- Demonstrate a reasonable understanding of Microsoft Office programs
- Exhibit a high degree of organization and office professionalism
- Ability to maintain effective working relationships with Museum employees, docents, etc.
- Have reliable transportation (parking is provided in Old Sacramento)
- Show excellent communication and writing skills
- Be able to work on numerous projects simultaneously
- Show enthusiasm for history and a willingness to learn
- Knowledge of California and Sacramento history
- Experience with public speaking and presentations
- Knowledge of California education standards and common core curriculum
- Experience working with children
- Sewing experience
- College age or above preferable
Internships are awarded in three- and six-month increments. Interns will develop their schedules with the intern supervisor based on requirements, project parameters and coursework. Hour requirements will also be determined based on these qualifications. Interns may be required to work irregular hours and occasional weekends, as necessary.
Interested? Please fill out the following form and email it to: SVoskuil-Starcevich@cityofsacramento.org
Emergency Contact Name: __________________________
Emergency Contact Phone Number: __________________________
Relationship to intern: ___________________________